Tuesday, April 3, 2012

How to nurse a depression

It's hard for me to be depressed for too long. I used to be one of those deliberate-Goth-types, but my naturally sunny disposition is hard to suppress- it’s like trying to push a bright red ball under the surface of a foamy wave. However, there are few things which I can do to remain in a state of grey, foggy depression-

1. Listen to enough Maroon 5
I loop depressing songs about messed-up relationships on my handed-down iPod (it's my sister's- purple with a yellow flower sticker- again, hard to be depressed when you have a gadget like that).

2. Eat really, really bad food
Watery daal, congealed fish and ice-cold rice. Sure-fire acidity and sad thoughts.

3. Correct grammar
Exposure to bad grammar is a copywriter's occupational hazard. Correct enough earnest legal documents and you will weep copious tears.

4. Think of the misfortune of others
When your own miseries lose steam (like underdone idlis); meditate upon the sad lives of friends and family. There, my eyes feel gritty already...